For entrepreneurs who want to start a side business close to home or in their backyard, or who are looking for a business to start with a very low capital besides gardening. You are at the right place.
In this article, we have covered the following:
- Understanding garden business.
- Factors to consider in setting up a gardening business.
- Who is your target market?
- What you need to start a gardening business.
- Pons and cons of setting up a gardening business.
- Business start-up ideas/ 30 small businesses to start in your backyard.
- Keys to make your gardener business profitable.
Garden business is a lucrative business to start with a very low capital; it is also a stress-relieving business. Our society invests much in agriculture, in the food we consume, if you are starting a vegetable garden, herbs garden or a flower garden, if you have passion for gardening, setting u a garden for business can be a great idea for you. You can offer from yourself is “experience”
A gardening business is a year-round profession; you will have to endure the frigid days of winter and those famous showers. If you want to become a gardener, you don’t have to wait to get much money in your account before you give it a start… as we slide down you will get this to start with very low capital. Turning small business to yield big money is our goal!
Factors to Consider when Starting a Gardening Business
If you are considering starting a business and you love nature, you can make a living as a home-based gardener. Gardeners perform a lot of task such as; raking, trimming, digging, planting, hoeing, leaf blowing, watering, cutting, fertilizer, seeding, mulching, and slashing.
In starting a garden business, consider:
- Your business structure: That is documenting your garden business. This includes; create an independence service provider to know your business objective and mission.
- Financial strategy and marketing strategy: This includes your marketing channel, business portfolio and customers desire. If possible create a website, social media platform, hire a marketing specialist, and attend gardening events in your area if the opportunity comes.
- Contacting your state department revenue about a sale tax licensed.
- Finding a location is necessary and purchasing gardening tools: Make sure you have the basic tools, with time; you can expand your garden. The basic tools include hand trowel, rake, hoe, cutlass, basket, gloves, hand cultivator, weed eater, lawn mower, pruner, a van for delivery to distant locations and a system probably for administrative work. You can start locally, so you won’t need the van that much, but with time, as your garden progresses, it will be your most valuable companion. Buy empowered tools if your budget allows.
- Insurance: You know you can’t do without insurance companies not just in gardening industry but in other industries. The insurance covers you in time of the accident, theft even damages to property. This isn’t essential but will protect you from any sudden claim that could cost you. As a general rule of thumb, the best way to avoid future problems is to make sure the job doesn’t require a permit that you don’t have and get damage insurance.
- The price of your produce: There are several ways to charge your clients for your efforts, the option you go depends on a number of factors. You may want to charge by a fixed price or by the duration of your work, cost of equipment and transportation. Clients mostly are more comfortable to pay a fixed price than that of duration. However there’s no limit to what you can earn, it depends on the expansion of your garden and the quality of your work.
- Your health: Prolong exposure to the sun can damage our skin and can cause dehydration. You will need to invest in protective clothing to keep you safe. You will need to be excellent in shape in order to handle your work. Prepare for work by engaging in strength training exercises.
Who Is Your Target Market?
The target market is typically the middle and higher class homeowners and commercial property owners.
What you Need to Start a Gardening Business
You don’t really need much to start a gardening business. The major and money free thing you need is experience. You need exceptional knowledge on how to understand and manage the business. The difference between landscape architects and gardening is that landscape architect earns more than a gardener. You will need your tools or machinery, protective clothing, marketing materials, tax license, organic materials, pesticides, products.
Pros and Cons of Setting up a Gardening Business
In starting a business, they are advantages and disadvantages you must know, likewise Starting a Gardening Business you should know how to curtail the cons side of it, and leverage more on the pros side of it also.
- The profit is very high.
- You can specialize in several areas such as organic gardening, edible plants, herbs, flower etc.
- It is a stress-relieving business.
- You can offer gardening training.
- You can offer your garden for a party event and get paid.
- Improvement in understanding nature
- Physical workout
- It saves you money on fruits and vegetables.
- It boosts our immune system by the availability if a variety of fruits and leafy vegetable
- Reduction of mental health issues
- Gardening is fun and exciting
- Gardening may interfere with local laws and order
- It requires a lot of time and space
- Physical effort can be diminishing
- Minor fields injuries are common
- Significant maintain costs
- It requires careful selection of suitable plants and seed
- Significant crop losses for beginners
- Most plants are quite sensitive
- An illegal plant may cause you serious trouble and complications.
- The slowing down of your business due to seasonal climate.
- It requires adequate knowledge of agriculture.
- You have big competitors
- You may find a niche to compete in a crowded market.
Agricultural Businesses to Start at Home
You need to prepare to promote yourself to win business with this amazing business idea. For entrepreneurs who want to start a business close to their homes. A backyard business might be the right choice for you. if owning a small business sounds like something that would interest, here are the amazing business to consider,
- Herbs grower
- Vegetable farmer
- Seed sales and packaging them for sales
- Firewood sale
- Small poultry farm
- Rabbit rearing
- Snail rearing
- Dog walker, trainer
- Corn maze
- Farm Electronic repairs
STRATEGIC WAYS TO MAKE YOUR VEGETABLE GARDEN PROFITABLE
At a start as stated earlier, a simple and secure shed at your home should be sufficient but as your business grows you may think of renting somewhere a little more substantial.
What are the tips to make your garden give you more money even in its small state?
Gardeners make money by charging for their services. We stated that in considering the prices of your produces.
Go to grocery stores, local restaurant to know whether you can be delivering vegetables for them.
That’s a very great idea, isn’t it?
There are restaurant willing to pay you huge cash for delivery for their local dishes. Likewise, a local grocery store entertains giving you the space to sell your produce in their store.
Just be careful about this, because most people will take some portion of your produce for rent or so. Also, know the seasons of the produce you want to plant that year.
For instance, the month of planting and month of harvesting for tomatoes is different from that of garden egg leaf. So, as an aspiring gardener; learn more on the seasonal periods of the vegetables you want to cultivate on your garden.
If you can’t sell your produce in the above listed, you can trade your produce with neighbours to save more money and you can also rent your garden for events like garden parties if it is a well-maintained garden.
In conclusions here are the benefits of starting a vegetable garden business:
- Vegetable garden business is less stressful with low capital to start with.
- It is a produce people consume daily, therefore it has a high rate of demand.
- It requires a short time consumption when it comes to maintenance.
- It doesn’t require a hectare of land unless during expansion
- Professional gardeners say aside from going outdoor getting vitamin D and using your hand to benefit your health, it can also make putting food on your table much easier. Some popular plants to grow depending on its season include tomatoes, pumpkin, cabbage, spinach, pepper, carrot, garden egg leaf, waterleaf, scent leaves, bitter leaf, sweet potatoes and many more.
- Gardening can improve hand strength.
- Growing your own food can help you eat healthier.
- Working in the garden boost your mood, it can make a happier person.
- Gardening can save you money on the grocery.
- Gardening counts as an exercise.
- You can sell extra produce even flowers from your garden if it is legal in your community; you can add an additional method of selling by setting u a roadside stand and sell directly to your neighbors.