Water often is not thought as a nutrient even thought it clearly meet all definition as one.
Sources of Water For Farm Animals
Life cannot be sustained without water. There are 5 sources of water for farm animals:
- Drinking water
- Water contained in/on feed.
- Metabolic water is produced by metabolic processes in tissues mainly by oxidation of nutrient.
Three kinds of nutrient produce different amount of water. 1g of fat produces 1.1g of water, 1g of protein produces 0.4g of water.
- Water liberated from metabolic reaction such as condensation of amino acids of peptides
- Preformed water associated with body tissues catabolised during the period of negative energy balance.
Note: The importance of these different sources of water differs among animal species depending on diet, habitat and ability to conserve body water.
FUNCTIONS OF WATER to Animals
- Water takes part in digestion (hydrolysis of protein, fats and carbohydrates).
- Water serves in absorption of digested nutrients
- It helps in the transportation of metabolites in the body.
- Excretion of waste products
- The regulation of body temperature is dependent partially on the high conductive property of water to distribute heat within the body and by vapourization of excess water release by metabolic reaction within the cells.